Monday, July 22, 2013

WHO HAS MORE DUTY TO RETREAT- VICTIMS OR CRIMINALS?

I've got nothing new or interesting.  Dead bodies everywhere you look, it seems like.  But, I did see this recent post by John Lilyea over at This Ain't Hell (But You Can See It From Here) blog that is worth a read.  Check it out.  John has a good blog, mostly dealing with Stolen Valor, but also touching on other relevant current issues.


What about the criminals’ “duty to retreat”? I have no way to escape someone who has forcibly gained entrance to my residence because I can barely walk. So if a criminal doesn’t want to be shot, he should depart as soon as the Glock 30 comes off my night table, because it’s his duty to stop in the commission of his crime. I’m not going to shoot someone in the back who is making his escape from the ten rounds of .45 caliber ammunition. So, why is it my duty to retreat, something I’m physically incapable of doing anyway? 


You know the old saying, "God made man,  Samuel Colt made them equal."**   Jack Gordon was 77 years old and not physically suited for a fistfight.  He did not carry a firearm, by choice, even in the remote and sometimes lawless reaches of the Sangre de Cristo ranches.  I like to think that Jack 'Stood His Ground' to the best of his ability that day.  Who knows if it would have made a difference that day in 2008 if he had been armed? 


**(Actually, according to the Colt Mfg. Co. the original saying was, "Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal.")

2 comments:

  1. I think that in England one must retreat and then retreat from the original retreat. Even to the point of leaving your home. But that is England, mysteriously though maybe the home of the phrase "A man's home is his castle" . From whence came the name of several "Stand Your Ground" laws being titled "Castle doctrine".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, Dean0, in Jolly Olde England I believe they are known as "Run, run away" Laws. Rumor from Monty Python has it that the legislation was first introduced by Brave Sir Robin, who bravely turned his tail and ran. :)

    ReplyDelete